Re: Microscope question

Jeffrey Grantham wrote:
> I would suggest what is known as a PrepScope or StereoScope in the
>microscopy field.  It has a long working distance (required to get the samples >>under the lense).  Good ones have low zoom power (3-7 power plus the
>ocular).  (snip). Also, would you like to be able to photograph this
>stuff?
--------------------------
Jeff & list,
	First, let me say I fully agree that the IDEAL scope would have a zoom
feature from about 5 power to 50 power. Unfortunately, that range is
nearly impossible to get. Furthermore, any fine zoom scope I have seen
COSTS a ton of $. However, if money were no object, I would definately
have one.
	The MBC-10 has 5 stages controled by a knob that multiplies the oculars
by the following incraments: 0.6,  1,  2,  4,  & 7.  It comes with 2
sets of oculars, 8 power and 14 power. I HAVE NEVER USED MY 14 POWER
oculars! With the 8 power, I go from  4.8 power to 8, to 16 to 32 to  56
power.  If one WANTED to use the 14 power oculars (takes about 30
seconds to change oculars) they could go from 8.4 to 14, to 28 to 56 to
98 - I just have no reason to go past 56, which the 8 power oculars give
me, plus the more convenient stages on the continuum.
	As far as "working distance," the scope is adjustable to about 10 or 12
inches, then, if aREALLY large specimen work is desirable, the unit can
rotate 180 degrees to its base, to hang over the edge of a table and ANY
size specimen can be brought under it to achieve microscopic viewing.
	A photo attachement is available for what I consider to be very
expensive - $325 (since the scope, itself, is only $500 delivered, the
cost of the photo adaptor seems high to me) I do have one, myself, and
keep a 35mm camera attached at all times, as it is not in the way at all
and is ballanced nicely - no hastles. However, Matt Morgan (Mile High
Meteorites) got one from me and has taken some KILLER photos with his
digital camera RIGHT THROUGH THE OCULAR - just put the lense up to it &
"click" - I believe he used some of these on his web site - I know he
emailed me some - VERY nice photos.
	Jim Tobin (Meteorite Exchange - Author of the Meteor Crator CD, etc.)
has designed an excelent "polarizor adaptor" specifically for this
scope. While it is NOT as elegant as a polarizing microscope, it costs
$89.95 (or $75 when purchased with the scope) instead of a BEGINNING
price of about $2,000 for a polarizing scope. So, that is another not so
little bonus.
	As I said, I would prefer a $3,500 to $5,000 scope - but not for the
difference in price - at least not to me. Only slightly more desirable,
but VASTLY more expensive. I carry these BECAUSE I think they are such a
great bargain. They are NOT a "$ maker" for me - though, I do, of
course, make SOMETHING on them - it ain't much, but the satisfaction of
sharing a really cool item is the big payoff for me. So far, 100%
delight expressed by people who have gotten them. Oh, and they are also
guarenteed. I HAVE had 3 buyers that had problems & the supplier
IMMEDIATELY replaced the defective parts in 2 cases and the whole unit
in the 3rd case - NO PROBLEM. Bam - taken care of.
	But, as I said, if ya got the BIG bucks, there are better scopes out
there - however, the ones in the $295 to $500 range CAN'T EVEN COME
CLOSE. You have to be ready to spend about 4 times the $ to get anything
close to "better."
	Best wishes, Michael

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: