Re: Microscope question

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Hurley <hurleyj@arachnaut.org>
To: Meteorite List <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 4:48 PM
Subject: RE: Microscope question

Back in the late 1960s I picked up an old stereo Ernst Leitz Wetzlar,
#221061 microscope for $50 from some kind of a lab that was closing down.
That was a lot of $ for me back then but felt I was very lucky to find such
a bargain.  The top lenses say "a15".  Don't know what the "a" stands for,
but it has a good sharp field of view and have enjoyed using it for my low
power microscopic work over the years.  Has a wooden stand with a heavy duty
gear drive bar in one corner extending up about a foot.  The scope can be
tilted and is connected to a metal arm with an elbow.  However, could never
find a camera adapter for it so it was hit and miss with photos, mostly
miss.  Tried to have one made from aluminum but it wouldn't work right for
whatever optical reason.  Right now it needs a second internal cleaning.
One way or another I was always able to use a high-intensity portable desk
light for illumination.  Later acquired an old brass microscope that
happened to be made by the same company, #240401, for my higher
magnification work and was able to obtain an adapter for my camera.  Have
plenty of lenses to use with the scope.  Anyone know about when these scopes
were made?
Darryl

>The photos I posted were taken just by holding a digital
>camera up against the lens piece and focus using the camera LCD screen.
>
>The camera I used does not sense light through the lens, so I adjust
>room lighting to get the right exposure.
>
>Sometimes I throw away a few, but mostly this works well enough.

Archives located at: