RE: Microscope question

Many of those microphotographs were taken of individual chondrules
I separated from a small specimen of Saratov L4.

Saratov is a crumbly stone and it is easy to separate the chondrules
by hand.

The 'DeathStar' chondrule, named after the obvious reference in Star Wars,
is a chondrule with a micro-impact crater on it. At least that's what it looks
like to me. It's also possible that the depression was made when the
chondrule cooled - it could have been next to another chondrule and the other
one made that dent. I don't think so, though, the hole looks very
much like a crater with a shattered rim.

The chondrule is sitting on a glass dish that was dusty from the crumbling
process - those look like stars. Beneath the glass dish is the black
antireflective plate of the microscope stage. Some shadows are cast onto that.

I probably should re-do that photo and focus a bit better. It looks
much better in real-life. It's big because I once used it for a desktop
background.

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: