Light in the sky - Tunguska

bergrob schrieb:

> Hello list!,

> My late grand-mother (born on 1-1-1900) told me about about
> two nights, when she was a little girl, that it was so light
> in Holland that you could read a news-paper. It was in 1908,
> june. I just watched National geograpic tv: june 30 1908
> Tunchuska! I just realised that she was a witness of it!!!!
> (It didn't harm her: she became 93)
> Greetings, Robert Bergkotte

Hello All !

‘Tunguska '96’, Bologna, Italy, July 15-17, 1996 - Meeting Report from
A. Harris:

" ... a great deal of material was deposited in the upper atmosphere,
resulting in enhanced ‘white nights’ lasting for some weeks."

" ... the observed ‘white nights’ would be expected, regardless of
whether the bolide was cometary or asteroidal."

A. Chaikin (1984) Target: Tunguska (S&T, Jan 84, 18-21):

" ... An active comet might also explain the skyglows witnessed
 over much of Europe on the night of the event and for a few nights
afterward."

R.A. Gallant (1994) Journey to Tunguska (S&T, Jun 94, 38-43):

"Following the Tunguska explosion, unusually colorful sunsets and
sunrises caught the attention of observers in western Europe,
Scandinavia, Russia, and western Siberia. The climax of visual displays
occurred on the night of June 30th, though they continued over several
weeks, weakening exponentially. The NEW YORK TIMES of July 3, 1908,
reported 'remarkable lights ... observed in the northern heavens,' and
scientists mistakenly attributed the dazzling skies to electrical
disturbances in the atmosphere caused by solar outbursts ..."

"These optical fireworks and 'light nights' were most prominent over
eastern Siberia and central Asia. They included a night sky bright
enough to cast shadows and allow a newspaper to be read."

"Ice-coated dust grains at heights of 40 to 70 km created noctilucent
(night-shining) clouds that illuminated much of the visible sky, and
there were halos around the sun."

"A marked decrease in the air's transparency was recorded in the United
States by the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory and Mount Wilson
Observatory."

Best regards,

Bernd

Archives located at: