Re: Water in Meteorites

>I am confused. Two meteorites (One of them being ZAG) have recently made
>headlines for containing water from space. There are only two known
>meteorites with water from space.

The Monahans and Zag meteorites are the only known meteorites currently
known to contain LIQUID water, and in both cases the water was found
in salt crystals inside the meteorites.

>However, quoting Richard norton's book
>(Rocks from space) he says on page 84 when discussing Murchison "CM2
>Meteorites are water bearing. They contain about 10% water". Why is
>murchison not considered to contain water from space?

The water found previously found in the carbonaceous chondrites and
Martian meteorites was not liquid water.  The water in these meteorites
were extracted by heating the meteorites.

Ron Baalke

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: