SNC Meteorite Origins

almitt schrieb/wrote:

> Just fairly recently Dr. Lipschutz did a paper on the SNCs that
> suggest not only have collisions delivered material from Mars,
> that some if not all of the meteorites are unique and do a sampling
> of the different areas on Mars. I'll post the paper here on this for
> your reading pleasure.

Thank you, Al ! It is always a pleasure to hear from you :-)

> The study was published in the July issue of Meteoritics and
> Planetary Science, which focused on the Martian meteorites.

Right - and here an excerpt from the
conclusions reached by the authors:

WANG M-S., MOKOS J.A. and LIPSCHUTZ M.E. (1998) Martian meteorites:
Volatile trace elements and cluster analysis (Meteoritics 33-4, 1998,
p. 671, excerpt):

These similarities suggest that the six Martian meteorite subtypes
derive from as many sources within the planet, with each being closed to
volatile element transfer. Since even vapor transfer did not occur, the
components of each Martian meteorite subtype can be considered as
reflecting source region compositions and, therefore, suitable for more
exacting investigations like those of Ghosal et al. (1997).

GHOSAL S. et al. (1997) Shergottite evidence for a reduced,
iron-depleted Martian mantle (Meteoritics 32-4, 1997, A046).

GHOSAL S. et al. (1998) Evidence for a reduced, Fe-depleted
Martian mantle from shergottites (Contr.Min.Petr. 130, p. 316).

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at:

For help, FAQ's and sub. info. visit: