Fwd: [meteorite-list] Item #553686416

From: Dave Andrews <dandre10_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:08 2004

Hi Steve and list,
Like Gregory warns, be very, very careful. If you are an eBay member, you can be
jeopardizing your own membership by warning prospective bidders of this obvious
slagerite. We've been round-and-round with this issue many times in the past
with many pseudorites, and it always has the same outcome: eBay doesn't know
what a real meteorite is, they will NOT take your word for it not being one, and
they will take the seller's word for it that it is genuine. (Hey, they're making
money from it).

When confronted with the facts, eBay will always state that they trust their
sellers to make good with the deals, right or wrong, and it's always "buyer
beware." So, in short, I doubt that you will be successful in removing the
auction, but you may be able to discourage bidders at the risk of some
repercussions to your own eBay account. Some of these bidders won't believe you
either. So it's really a no-win-situation IMHO.

Your effort should be worthy of commendation and my hat's off to you, but it will
probably be futile.

Just my past perspective, but wishing you good luck in your crusade.

Regards and best wishes for your success,
Pessimist Dave