[meteorite-list] Re: Questions - meteoritics

From: Robert Beauford <wendirob_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:12 2004

My most sincere thanks Rhett and Bernd.
If anyone wants this wonderful in depth meteoritics book, it is affordable
and available from:
http://www.minsocam.org/
Here is the answer summary to some of the questions if anyone else was
curious:

Questions:
What is 1.3Ga as a unit of time? > 1.3 billion years [G = giga; a = year
(French: an, année; Latin: annum)]

In table 3, p1-7 what does IDP in 'IDP parent bodies' stand for? >
Interplanetary dust particles - this makes sense.

p1-5. Is a cotectic melting reaction the melting of materials in correlation
to pressures? (ie: what is cotectic?... it's not in my dictionary) >
cotectic melting: Eutectic = melting readily
(Greek "tektos" = molten; hence the word "tektite") "co-" should indicate
something like "melting in combination with/at the same time as something
else (just a guess!)

This makes sense... I think the meaning of the sentance then was that at
deep mantle pressures, iron and silicates melt together forming olivine
normative magmas.

I'd love to know more still about the processes below if anyone has any
insights:
Thanks, -Robert : )

same page: I assume oxygen fugacity has to do with oxygen dissapearing or
leaving for some reason from the parent bodies, but I really don't
understand what process they are referring to. Could someone explain? The
properties are given in terms of FMQ and IW... What are these? > QFM =
quartz-fayalite-magnetite oxygen buffer

Also Table 2 on same page, what is the significance of Mg/Mg+Fe of bulk
planet?