[meteorite-list] eBay Puzzle Rock, Again- The Answer

From: Rob and Colleen <iguana_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:41:57 2004

--------------1F56136A094380AC60D7D854

Hello list-
I have been quite involved with this material for about a year now. Some time
ago, I won a Yahoo auction for a small piece of this sold without benefit of
any description for just a few bucks. It was sold by a second party who was
owed money by the finder, a Mr. Jim David. After initial inspection, my
assumption was that it was a terrestrial hematite or magnetite. Next a made a
phone call to the seller who told me that Mr. David was an amateur geologist
who was out prospecting gold in California's Sweetwater mountain range when
he found these. This was all he knew and apparently the seller was given
these to auction these as partial payment on an outstanding debt. He gave me
Mr. David's phone number so I could talk to him about it. Mr. David explained
that he knew nothing about meteorites and that based on this find he
purchased a copy of Rocks From Space to help confirm his hypothesis. The find
was made along with others in a comma-shaped "strewnfield" ,exact location
not disclosed after he read up on the Old Woman Meteorite, using a metal
detector. They ranged in size from a grape to a basketball and each was found
~18" deep under a sandstone mantle. He spoke of regmaglypts and Widmanstatten
lines and, in one specimen, olivine crystals. He explained his dire financial
strain to me and asked if I knew any buyers. At this point I mentioned that
they didn't appear to meteorite to me which he took offense to and began
reading page after page from Norton's book to me. I told him I would ask Al
Rubin to look at it. In the meantime he sent more samples, at my expense,
hoping I could line up buyers. The samples came and the "olivine" looked more
like quartz that had been covered in moss for years (though I am no
geologist) and no widmanstatten structures were noted in the slices he sent
despite his assurance that no etching was needed to see these. Al's report
confirmed magnetite. Again I phoned Mr. David and again he read and read and
read pointing out that Henbury looks "exactly like these" and referred me to
Norton's color plate of the Canyon Diablo covered in magnetite before
tumbling. I took a large one and cut it in half, NO FRESH METAL. The guy is
relentless and hired himself this Tim Berger to give his opinion, albeit
incorrect. I still get mail and collect calls form this guy trying to
convince me they are meteorites. By this time he's gotta know they are not.
This is the first auction I have seen in about 8 months so his finances must
be even thinner to sell something he knows is fake. The seller is not Mr.
David as I know he doesn't own a computer. I've got a lot of this if anybody
wants some. Nice meteorwrongs.
Rob Wesel

David Freeman wrote:

> Dear Kelly (and List);
> I agree with you, from what is said, and what is not said, it may appear
> that Mr. Berger (the geologist ??), is stoned...err...has rocks in his
> head. Looks like another wonderful olivine basalt to me. I think some
> geologists get taken up with themselves and forget that they are ...just
> terrestial geologists.
> Another case of wishing IT IS a falling star.
> Best Rocks,
> Dave F.
>
> Kelly Webb wrote:
>
> > Hi, List,
> >
> > Here's another puzzling whatzit on eBay. Is it a right or a wrong?
> > It certainly is a generous and serendipitious stone, filling a gully
> > with irons, stoney-irons, AND tektites, according to the poster! It
> > makes me wonder why the heavens didn't throw a few pallasites in there,
> > too.
> >
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=537996532
> >
> > Comments?
> >
> > Kelly Webb

> --

--------------1F56136A094380AC60D7D854

<HTML>
Hello list-
<BR>I have been quite involved with this material for about a year now.
[...]
<BR>Rob Wesel

<P>David Freeman wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Dear Kelly (and List);
<BR>I agree with you, from what is said, and what is not said, it may appear
<BR>that Mr. Berger (the geologist ??), is stoned...err...has rocks in
his
<BR>head.&nbsp; Looks like another wonderful olivine basalt to me.&nbsp;
I think some
<BR>geologists get taken up with themselves and forget that they are ...just
<BR>terrestial geologists.
<BR>Another case of wishing IT IS a falling star.
<BR>Best Rocks,
<BR>Dave F.

<P>Kelly Webb wrote:

<P>> Hi, List,
<BR>>
<BR>>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Here's another puzzling whatzit on eBay.
Is it a right or a wrong?
<BR>> It certainly is a generous and serendipitious stone, filling a gully
<BR>> with irons, stoney-irons, AND tektites, according to the poster!
It
<BR>> makes me wonder why the heavens didn't throw a few pallasites in
there,
<BR>> too.
<BR>>
<BR>> <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=537996532">http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=537996532</A>
<BR>>
<BR>>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Comments?
<BR>>
<BR>> Kelly Webb
<BR>>
<BR>> _______________________________________________
<BR>> Meteorite-list mailing list
<BR>> Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<BR>> <A HREF="http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list">http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</A>

<P>--
<BR>Click here for Free Video!!
<BR><A HREF="http://www.gohip.com/free_video/">http://www.gohip.com/free_video/</A>

<BR>Meteorite-list mailing list
<BR>Meteorite-list_at_meteoritecentral.com
<BR><A HREF="http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list">http://www.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list</A></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>