[meteorite-list] Dissapointed collector

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

Meanwhile, let's get back to Paul's concerns.

Steve, I think there is something more to Paul's
concerns than just location. Besides, Paul said
"country" and not once mentioned NWA, let alone GPS
locations. So, I think Paul is having problems with
some things that are occuring in the meteorite market
that you and I probably wouldn't think twice about.
We've see them for so long now, we think they're just
natural. But, that's the value of having a fresh view
of things, like the questions we get from new
collectors.

Since NWA meteorites, by virtue of their name, can't
be "misleading" in regards to which "country" it
originated, I'm thinking that Paul must be taking
exception to "other" meteorites from Africa. So, I
took a closer look at those meteorites marketed with a
place name, particularly those from Morocco.

I have to admit to being surprised at the number of
them that are using "place names" that haven't been
approved, yet. Compounding this was the lack of
disclaimers explaining any of this.

I don't consider myself a newbie collector, but like
Paul, I'm starting to question some things, about how
we go about marketing meteorites.

And, Steve, what do you think a hypothetical "dealers
association" would say regarding this type of
practice?

But think about it, up until now, everybody seemed to
be happy with this practice. Can't say I've heard of
any complaints. After all, the dealers are just
giving the collectors what they want, .... a name for
their meteorite specimen.

Bob V.

=== message truncated ===