[meteorite-list] Dissapointed collector

From: nctools <nctools_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

Hello everyone.
I want to thank everyone who sent me emails and I certainly appreciate
everyones help and guidance.The unknown meteorite situation seems very
delicate and i can understand why most opinions were private to me instead
of to the meteorite discussion list.About 2 to 1 were against the unknown
meteorites and a couple of people and a scientist FIRMLY told me it messed
up something that should be a scientifically controlled hobby IF its going
to be taken seriously.it sounds like theres some strong feeling out there!On
the other hand others are happy to collect meteorites they can afford even
if they dont know when or where its from or even what type of meteorite it
is.Thats fair comment and I respect it though I think theres much more to
consider.

Im new to all this and unwittingly see it with a fresh light.I wrongly
assumed that something described and sold to me as a "meteorite" by a
meteorite seller would have been tested and confirmed as a meteorite and
have the same history information that comes with most of the meteorites
that the big gun sellers offer.That was my big mistake.What Im really trying
to say here is that it should be officially recognised and classified before
it can be called a meteorite and anything less than that is just speculation
and an educated guess.Its also noticable that the big gun meteorite sellers
are the ones who are being responsible by obeying the (unwritten?) rules
about these unknown meteorites and having them tested and classified and I
think that speaks volumes.

Personal opinions are different though I cant see how I can be content to
have something in my collection that is only PROBABLY a meteorite.Even if
its got a high certainty and an experienced seller says it is genuine I dont
think Id be happy with that if its not OFFICIALLY recognised.The missing
information about its type and when and where it was found only compounds
the problem.
For instance if I show one of these unknowns to someone and they ask me some
very basic questions this is how it would go:

Q: Is this a meteorite?