[meteorite-list] Tektites lunar/terrestrial

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:30 2004

Joseph,

What you left out in your proposition is the impactor itself.

If it was say, cometary, then there could be a large component of dust and who knows what kind of solid material. (We have yet to get a really good sample of a comet).

Comets are very fragile, and I think that the dymamics of impact for such bodies would be more likely to produce airbursts rather than impacting the ground.

Mega Tunguska events if you will.

Lots of speculation in the above, but the energy of such is certianly sufficient to reach a temperature where H20 could be broken into its elemental components.

As for tektites not having inclusions, I think that you are mistaken on this point-- some do, and these are high pressure silicate minerals.

If I recall, it was Dr. John Wasson at UCLA that mentioned this to me. (He is doing reasearch on tektites-- and conveyed to me that virtually all the evidence now gathered points to terrestrial impact origin)

Steve Schoner.