[meteorite-list] Daytime Fireball Observed Over Northeastern United States

From: Ron Baalke <baalke_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:43:33 2004

>From Tony Cecce (ACECCE1_at_STNY.RR.COM)

I just got off the phone with a fellow local astronomer. He received a phone
call a few minutes before that from another friend of ours who claimed he saw a
major daytime bolide which was "as bright as the sun". This was then followed
about five minutes later by a series of sharp booms. All three of us heard the
booms, unfortunately I was in the house at the time. We are spread out over a
15 mile region between Corning and Elmira New York.

>From Andre Knoefel (andre.knoefel_at_dwd.de)
IMO - Fireball Data Center

It seems a very bright daylight fireball was visible over
the Appalachian Mountains on Monday evening (2001-07-23 06:15pm EDT).
I got reports from Millerstown PA, Edgeworth PA, Shinglehouse PA, Penfield NY,
Cameron Mills NY, Old Bridge NJ, Arlington VA, Gaithersburg MD. The fireball
was brighter than full moon and the obersver from Cameron Mills reports
also rumbling sound. The direction of the fireball was southeast to northwest.

From: Tom Orff <torff_at_losch.net>

Ron,

I don't know whether or not you are interested, but there was just a
special report on one of our local TV stations (WNEP-16) about a daytime
meteor sighting over Luzerne, Schuylkill and a few other counties in
Northeast PA.

>From Tony Cecce (ACECCE1_at_STNY.RR.COM)

My phone has been ringing off the hook. My mother was outside, she didn't see
the meteor itself but did see the landscape briefly brighten then heard two
sharp booms. The booms were quite unlike thunder, she thought there was a car
accident.

Another observer in Corning saw it "hit a hill" in the southwest, assuming the
boom was the sound of impact.

The TV just flashed across the bottom of the screen that law enforcement
agencies have received meteor sitings from Northeast New York deep into
Pennsylvania.