[meteorite-list] Smallest oriented stone meteorite?

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:11 2004

I am wondering what the smallest known oriented stone meteorite is. Any
ideas out there?

The reason is that I just got a wonderfully oriented Holbrook. It is a
classic shape with flowlines on the leading edge and a distinct bubbly rim
covering most of the parameter of the trailing edge. But the little thing is
only 0.9 grams in mass. It got me thinking about just how small a meteorite
can be as still retain the classic orientation markings. I have smaller
individuals that have flight markings and show a tendency toward orientation
during their fall, but they are not the classic pincushion or shield shape.

I also have some tiny Nuevo Mecurios and Juanchengs that are oriented in the
classic fashion, but they are all over a gram in mass.

Any thoughts about where this information might be accessed would be helpful
as well. Did Nininger write about it anywhere that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

Martin