[meteorite-list] ALH76009

From: Frank Prochaska <fprochas_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:12 2004

Congradulations on a nice addition! There is a nice photo of the discovery
of ALH76009 opposite the title page of the book "The Search for our
Beginnings" by Hutchison, (c) 1983. Nice shot of the meteorite on the ice
and a recovery team member in the foreground, the helicopter and more of the
team in the background. If you happen to have that book on your shelf, you
should look it up. For a while after I first got my piece of 76009, I used
to just sit and hold my sample and stare at that picture!

The CD database that comes with the CoM is a little more helpful. It lists
the terrestrial age as ~69 thousand years and the cosmic ray exposure age as
~15 million years. It also lists about 25 or so references to technical
articles that look like they describe just about whatever you could imagine.

Frank Prochaska