[meteorite-list] Ensisheim report

From: SaharaTeam_at_aol.com <SaharaTeam_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:13 2004

--part1_5b.179983e3.2861e956_boundary

alexc_at_oasispartners.com wrote :

> why does it matter where a meteorite is found as long as it is found
> analysed and clasified? what is intrinsically important about a
> strewnfield, or its location? just a question from a nobody.

Dear Alex,
Thanks for your message,
first of all, a majority of NWA are not classified:
NWA xxx or Sahara xxxxx, where x is a digit, are provisional names allowed by
the Nomenclature Committee. When a collector or dealer brings back a probable
meteorite from Morocco, he or she can apply for an NWA number to be assigned.
Only when such a meteorite is classified by an authorized laboratory and a
type specimen is deposited for scientific research in a permanent collection,
it could then be granted formal (official) status by a NomCom vote. But until
this happens, there is no guarantee that it is even a meteorite!
You can tell that a name is a formal one because the meteorite has been
published in the Meteoritical Bulletin, either in MAPS or on-line in the
latest MetBull update. If it's not there, it's not an official name:
http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/metsoc/metbull/master-index.pdf

Interest of strewnfields data:
1 - to find more samples from a fall. More than 90 percent of the meteorites
have an atmospheric fragmentation and show a distribution ellipse, paired
finds will be found each time a meticulous fieldwork will be done, giving
more samples available for science research and collectors.
2 - to learn about the strewnfield features and understand the different
stages of their formation. It will help us to discover new potential areas,
remember that less than 5 percent of the Sahara are good prospecting places.
If you want to know how to recognize a good strewnfield, you must keep note
of maximum details and share your knowledge. If not, tomorrow you will drive
randomly in the central part of the Sahara searching several days for a
single meteorite because you don't know where to concentrate your searches.
We have written a French article about strewnfields and prospecting under dry
climates (if someone want to translate it on the mailing):
http://www.saharamet.com/meteorite/data/map/strewnf.html
3 - to study pairings and location data, meteorites can be preserved up to
50,000 years and data collected are a real patrimony. Those information will
be used for many statistics, among which are earth meteorite fall rate and
family populations.
4 - during a fall, majority of individual meteorites knock in the ground and
are not visible. Only rare ones break during the impact or hurt a rock and
bounce. Picking up these visible clues without taking care of their exact
location will make lose the whole remaining meteorites from the fall, the
ablation process could take perhaps thousands years before such meteorites
reappear.

Best regards,
Richard & Roland PELISSON
http://www.SaharaMet.com

--part1_5b.179983e3.2861e956_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>alexc_at_oasispartners.com wrote :
<BR>
<BR>
<BR><BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE style="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">why does it matter where a meteorite is found as long as it is found
<BR>analysed and clasified? what is intrinsically important about a
<BR>strewnfield, or its location? just a question from a nobody.
<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BR>
<BR>Dear Alex,
<BR>Thanks for your message,
<BR>first of all, a majority of NWA are not classified:
<BR>NWA xxx or Sahara xxxxx, where x is a digit, are provisional names allowed by
<BR>the Nomenclature Committee. When a collector or dealer brings back a probable
<BR>meteorite from Morocco, he or she can apply for an NWA number to be assigned.
<BR>Only when such a meteorite is classified by an authorized laboratory and a
<BR>type specimen is deposited for scientific research in a permanent collection,
<BR>it could then be granted formal (official) status by a NomCom vote. But until
<BR>this happens, there is no guarantee that it is even a meteorite!
<BR>You can tell that a name is a formal one because the meteorite has been
<BR>published in the Meteoritical Bulletin, either in MAPS or on-line in the
<BR>latest MetBull update. If it's not there, it's not an official name:
<BR>http://www.uark.edu/campus-resources/metsoc/metbull/master-index.pdf
<BR>
<BR>Interest of strewnfields data:
<BR>1 - to find more samples from a fall. More than 90 percent of the meteorites
<BR>have an atmospheric fragmentation and show a distribution ellipse, paired
<BR>finds will be found each time a meticulous fieldwork will be done, giving
<BR>more samples available for science research and collectors.
<BR>2 - to learn about the strewnfield features and understand the different
<BR>stages of their formation. It will help us to discover new potential areas,
<BR>remember that less than 5 percent of the Sahara are good prospecting places.
<BR>If you want to know how to recognize a good strewnfield, you must keep note
<BR>of maximum details and share your knowledge. If not, tomorrow you will drive
<BR>randomly in the central part of the Sahara searching several days for a
<BR>single meteorite because you don't know where to concentrate your searches.
<BR>We have written a French article about strewnfields and prospecting under dry
<BR>climates (if someone want to translate it on the mailing):
<BR>http://www.saharamet.com/meteorite/data/map/strewnf.html
<BR>3 - to study pairings and location data, meteorites can be preserved up to
<BR>50,000 years and data collected are a real patrimony. Those information will
<BR>be used for many statistics, among which are earth meteorite fall rate and
<BR>family populations.
<BR>4 - during a fall, majority of individual meteorites knock in the ground and
<BR>are not visible. Only rare ones break during the impact or hurt a rock and
<BR>bounce. Picking up these visible clues without taking care of their exact
<BR>location will make lose the whole remaining meteorites from the fall, the
<BR>ablation process could take perhaps thousands years before such meteorites
<BR>reappear.
<BR>
<BR>Best regards,
<BR>Richard &amp; Roland PELISSON