[meteorite-list] Prices dropping on eBay

From: Mark Miconi <mam602_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:13 2004

Well I for one do not know WHO they surveyed but I can tell you that in our
market areas we are NOT in agreement with this article. We have averaged
over $6K a month in sales and it has increased by over 17% from the start in
9/2000. However we have a clue about what appeals to us and what will appeal
to others. We are not professionals and have never been dealers, and started
this business when my job was eliminated due to downsizing.
What this article doesn't take into account are the people who have no clue
and are posting everything old and calling in "Vintage" or Collectible, in
our opinion.

Also in a true free market the supply and demand rules are much more the
deciding factor. The first line of bold text in the article supports
this...and I quote,
"The average value of antiques and collectibles sold on eBay has fallen
sharply in the last year as the number of listings has increased, a new
survey indicates."

Simple economics ladies and gentleman, supply goes up, demand stays the
same, prices fall. I would wager a guess that 50% of the increase of items
are either not really as valuable as sellers think, are border line on
collectibility or are not wanted by collectors.
Too many NEW sellers are watching the Antique Roadshow while drinking their
nightly glass of bath water and think they are going to sell their marginal
antique for an exceptional price...The prices quoted on those shows are
bloated and the auction houses they are quoted for pull a much better
clientel on average than Ebay. With the dip in the economy alot of people
are selling, and alot are buying, but the sheer number of items out there
makes it a "Buyers" market.

We actually love articles like this as the average Joe on the street will
read it and probably re-evaluate their thoughts of selling online. Which in
our world is a good thing.

All the opinions stated here our just that...ours.

Thanks again...

Mark and Cindy Miconi
Desert Crystals Emporium
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=desertcryst