[meteorite-list] The eBay "meteorite" dispute!

From: capricorn89 <capricorn89_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C0FC16.9ADC9000

For Eric:
cc: list

Go to:
http://www.meteoritecentral.com/
click on the links tab at the top of the screen by the logo.
You will find a link to to testing laboratories.
There are also lists of meteorite sellers with many pictures so that you =
may see what different kinds of meteorites look like.

Normally a lab will require a small piece, and a thin slice to make a =
thin-section so that a suspected specimen can be studied under the =
petrographic microscope and electronprobe analyzer. This is done by a =
geochemist who specializes in meteoritics. Usually a large University =
will have such a division. Once a specimen is authenticated its =
description and analysis is given to the Meteoritical Society, an =
international organization that is the official word on authenticating =
meteorites. It is then given a name and its classification recognized. =
The information is published in The Meteoritical Bulletin, which is =
updated periodically. You can find links to this as well at =
meteoritecentral. Until this process is complete a specimen is not =
worth much, if anything.

You will find links as well to many sources which will be of help to =
you. The meteorite collecting and scientific community, however, takes =
a dim view on unqualified people "guessing" they have a meteorite and =
trying to sell it without knowing for sure. Again, assistance is there =
for anyone who really wants to go the distance.

Hope this will be of help to you.

Ron Hartman
www.meteorite1.com
 =20