[meteorite-list] Thin Sections rusting

From: Frank Cressy <fcressy_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C10027.393CE060

Hello thin section afficianados,

The recent thread about cover slips/non cover slips got me thinking =
about rust problems with thin sections. At my best count there are now =
nearly a dozen dealers selling thin sections. Obviously viewing thin =
sections with a microscope is becoming very popular, or profitable, =
depending on your point of view.=20
I would think that none of the meteorite thin section dealers make their =
own thin sections. Instead they send them off to commercial thin section =
makers. In my opinion, a potential problem lies here in that these =
commercial manufacturers deal primarily in terrestrial rocks where =
rusting is seldem a problem.=20
I would hope that the sellers of meteorite thin sections inform their =
manufacturers of potential rusting problems and have their thin sections =
prepared using kerosene or whatever liquid is now used as a =
slurry/coolant for "special" samples and not water.
I looked at my slides of recent falls and about half are stained with =
iron oxides around metal inclusions. Whether or not the staining =
occurred prior to thin section manufacture or after is unknown but =
suggests a potential problem to me.=20
I would suggest that anyone sending meteorite material out for thin =
sections let their manufacturers know of their concern about rusting and =
request that they be prepared without water. This should help mitigate =
any potential rusting problems, with or without cover slides.
Regards,
Frank

------=_NextPart_000_0046_01C10027.393CE060

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Hello thin section afficianados,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The recent thread about cover slips/non cover slips got me thinking =
about=20
rust problems with thin sections. At my best count there are now nearly =
a dozen=20
dealers selling thin sections. Obviously viewing thin sections with a =
microscope=20
is becoming very popular, or profitable, depending on your point of =
view. </DIV>
<DIV>I would think that&nbsp;none of the meteorite thin section dealers =
make=20
their own thin sections. Instead they send them off to commercial thin =
section=20
makers. In my opinion, a potential problem lies here in that these =
commercial=20
manufacturers deal primarily in terrestrial rocks where rusting is =
seldem a=20
problem. </DIV>
<DIV>I would hope that the sellers of meteorite thin sections inform =
their=20
manufacturers of potential rusting problems and have their thin sections =

prepared using kerosene or whatever liquid is now used as a =
slurry/coolant for=20
"special" samples and not water.</DIV>
<DIV>I looked at my slides of recent falls and about half are stained =
with iron=20
oxides around metal inclusions. Whether or not the staining occurred =
prior to=20
thin section manufacture or after is unknown but suggests a potential =
problem to=20
me. </DIV>
<DIV>I would suggest that&nbsp;anyone sending meteorite material out for =
thin=20
sections let their manufacturers know of their concern about =
rusting&nbsp;and=20
request that they be prepared without water. This should help mitigate =
any=20
potential rusting problems, with or without cover slides.</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Frank</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>