[meteorite-list] Cover Slips/No Cover Slips

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

On Thu, 28 June 2001, "Frank Cressy" wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> My vote:
>
> > 1) I collect thin sections & prefer WITH COVER SLIPS.
>
> An awful lot of information can be obtained optically concering mineralogy
> and mineral and chondrule relationships. My major worry is about rust
> problems. I would almost never use them for probe analysis even though the
> local university can get me access. Any probe analysis would probably be
> duplicating published work.
> Hope this helps,
> Regards,
> Frank

However with the Lunar and Martian ones it might be a good idea to leave the cover slip off. These do not rust and eing that many of the Lunar and Martian meteorites resemble ordinary basaltic rocks, a micor-probe could be used to confirm the sample's identity should such a question arise.

This is especially important with these as they are valued much higher than the others.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey