[meteorite-list] Mercury?

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

On Fri, 29 June 2001, Michael Blood wrote:

> JPBrockets_at_aol.com wrote:
> > Hello List:
> > I apologize if I have missed this topic in the past.  But is there any
> > specific reason why Mercury has not proven to be the source of any
> > meteorites?
> > Thanks for any input.
> > Juris
> > jpbrockets_at_aol.com
> ----------
> Hi Juris,
> In spite of the post indicating many believe anything leaving the
> pull of Murcury would INVARIABLY be pulled to the sun, many DO
> believe the E Chondrites are from Murcury (because some constituent
> of the E Chondrites requires heat only found that close to the sun)
> There is no question in my mind that, with sufficient FORCE, nearly
> anything can be moved from nearly anywhere. So, it seams to me a
> big ol' hunk of Murcury could have been sent AWAY from the sun
> in some distant past IF it was hit by a large enough meteoroid or
> comet way back when.
> But then I am often wrong - just ask my sweetie.
> Best wishes, Michael

Right, Michael,

With enough force pieces of Mercury could be knocked off its surface. And considering that comets and or asterorids with highly eliptical orbits would *speed up* as they went into the inner Solar System the kinetic energy they possess would also increase. In other words they could by virtue of this provide enough force to propell fragments to at least the viciity of the Earth.

How long the orbits of such fragments would exist is another matter.

Too bad that there was not enough sightings of the Abee fireball to discern an orbit for it.

Steve Schoner, AMS
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey