[meteorite-list] Fw: Tektites & Soil

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

On Fri, 29 June 2001, "Darryl S. Futrell" wrote:

> [...]

Due to the reasons of the dynamics of hypersonic ablation as these objects supposedly entered the Earth's atmosphere after falling the distance from the Moon-- this discussion of splash forms for tektites on the Moon is purely hypothetical. Maybe for the forms of impact glass, and or possible volcanic glasses on the Moon, (if these can even be considered tektites?) but certainly not as an explanation for the tektites found on the Earth.

No "layered tektites" or any tektites for that matter
have been found on the Moon. And most certainly the forms found on Earth were formed in the vicinity of Earth by processes involving the Earth that have yet to be fully understood.

As I outlined before-- Stretch tektites clearly demonstrate that they formed on the Earth and not on the Moon-- for such forms would never survive hypersonic atmospheric entry at 7 plus miles per/sec after falling the distance from the Moon to the Earth.

Steve Schoner
http://www.geocities.com/american_meteorite_survey