[meteorite-list] Poaching, Science, and Economics

From: Bob Martino <martino.6_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:15 2004

All,

I've just joined the list recently and have been lurking about until now.
I'm fairly new to meteorite collecting, but am getting into it more and
more lately. I have been following the "discussion" on the Sahara
meteorites, but am not sure I understand it all. Here's what (I think) I
know:

In the last few years the Sahara has been identified as a major source of
meteorites (some quite old). There are those from western nations who go
out in the desert and pick up meteorites, making careful measurements with
GPS locators, taking photos, and doing careful science. These people decry
the nomads who go out and pick up whatever they can without doing the
science because data is lost.

There are others from western nations who buy the meteorites from the
markets in Morocco and re-sell them to collectors. These people decry the
"plundering" of the desert that the other ("scientific") westerners do
because the local people don't get any money when they are cut out of the
loop.

Issues which spice things up on either side include bribes to government
officials and police, rising prices, and the associated economic
distortions of pumping a lot of cash into a poor area. There also are
(apparently) ego and personality conflicts, name-calling, and the
villification of those on the opposing side.

I'm not looking for value judgements here (nor name-calling or other loaded
words). I just want to understand the basis of the arguement. Have I got
it straight, or is there more?

My opinions are not necessarily those of my employer.
Bob Martino "I look up to the heavens
Assistant Director but night has clouded over
Perkins Observatory no spark of constellation
                                       no Vela no Orion."
http://www.perkins-observatory.org -Enya