[meteorite-list] Asteroid Impact on DISCOVERY Channel

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:35 2004

Bernd wrote:

> Tonight at 20:30 hrs on the German DISCOVERY Channel:
> "Zukunftsfluch - Asteroideneinschlag" - Translation:
> Doomsday (?) - > Asteroid Impact.

Hi All!

Well, my translation was correct. The documentary dealt with the
consequences of a major impact on Earth and how to ward it off.
Here's a breakdown of "who - where - when - what - why"

E. and C. Shoemaker, Dr. D. Kring, Tom Gehrels, D. Yeomans,
David Levi, L. Kulik, P. Chodas, T. Ahrens.

Peekskill, Tunguska.

Ida, Mathilda, Toutatis.

Earth, Moon (astronauts on the Moon + several craters i.e. Copernicus,
Tycho), Jupiter.

Meteor Crater - Manicouagan - Gosses Bluff - Chicxulub.

K/T Extinction, Comet Shoemaker-Levi 9, tsunamis, dinosaurs.

California Institute of Technology - Hubble Telescope - Arecibo.

There were some minor inaccuracies - for example, the (German)
commentator said scientists didn't know much about the direct aftermath
of an impact before Comet Shoemaker-Levi 9 hit Jupiter, and when Dr.
Kring spoke of the iron meteorite that excavated Meteor Crater, the
translator omitted the word "iron".

Best wishes,

Bernd