[meteorite-list] Temporary Names

From: dean bessey <deanbessey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:36 2004

You know farmer, I have been thinking about one of your other comments about
franco - that he buys all of his stuff in morocco and not finding them like
he says. Now I am not going to agree or disagree with you since I havent
seen francos meteorites so I dont know if they look like moroccos or
something different - and also I never herd a nomad or anybody say that
franco has been buying in morocco. So I wont make an opinion one way or the
other.
However, I do wonder about something. You have been to morocco. I dont know
about you but I spent a couple days out into the desert. I tore the crap out
of a tiny fiat to explore the moroccan desert. Next time I go I am going to
get a land rover instead. But you know what? Every #$%_at_* rock in eastern
morocco is black. You would have a hell of a time finding meteorites there.
But of course I wasnt seriously searching (Yes, I admit it. I am guilty in
francos court. I was doing the ungodly thing. Yes, i was buying).
However my opinion is not as important here as what the nomads say. I might
just have been taking a wrong approach to searching - after all I dont have
my own finds to back up my ideas. What the nomads say is that they dont find
meteorites in morocco anymore. One nomad (With a lot of meteorites) told me
that he hasnt found one in morocco for over a year. They have to go further
and further away all of the time to find new meteorites (This is the nomads
talking - not me).
Erfoud is a tiny town. You go to see the sand dune and a couple little
villages but there is not much else to do as a tourist. There is not much to
see and no beer drinking establishments filled with scantally clad
sinoriitas to keep you up late at night. In fact by the third day in erfoud
you would be getting pretty bored of the place (If you even managed to
survive the first day). Now myself, I kept myself occupied for over a week
but well, I was buying meteorites and trilobites. Eastern morocco is a
pretty good place for buying meteorites and trilobites. Not so great a place
to search.
Morocco is also probably the most meteorite hunted out spot in all of the
sahara.
Now, as i said earlier, I dont have my own finds so I may not have the best
of ideas but if I was going hunting for meteorites where would I search?
I would find a place with very few black rocks and where there is the best
chanch that nobody has searched before me. Virgin desert. The sahara is
huge. plenty of places to fit that discription.
However Franco (Who has his own finds so he has better success than me)
decides that the best place in the desert to search for meteorites is in a
volcanic area with tons of dark magnetic rocks strewn around everywhere for
hundreds of miles and what is by far the most searched over area in all of
the sahara.
He has to be searching in that area for meteorites. (He dont buy there so
his reasons for going is not the same as mine). He spends a hell of a lot of
time in that place to sit around in the desert sun doing nothing. As I said,
unless he is buying or searching for meteorites (Or fossils) you get bored
of that place pretty quick.
Franco has his own finds and I dont. Maybe I am thinking all wrong. The next
time I go I will find the most over hunted area with the most dark rocks
possible and search there - just like franco. However, unlike franco, I wont
be spending weeks suntanning around in sahara desert. I will keep myself
occupied by buying meteorites and fossils.
What do you do with all of the time that you spend in erfoud anyway Franco
if you dont buy stuff there?
DEAN
PS:
Yes, I am going to morocco again soon. And yes, I will rent a landrover and
go searching for my own meteorites. However, the main plans for the trip is
a buying trip. I am not going there to seriously search the desert. I have
nomads hired to do that for me. I am going to buy and to pick up what the
nomads have for me. If I was going on a strictly hunting trip I sure as hell
wouldent go to morocco. There are many much better unsearched places to look
over. The most hunted place in all of the world dont seem like the best
place to hunt for meteorites.
Franco must be doing something right though. I beleive him when he says that
he has found everything that he has (Of course I sometimes beleive what the
fossil dealers tell me to).