[meteorite-list] Italian Researchers Find Traces Of Life In Meteorites

From: Matteo Chinellato <mcomemeteorite2000_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:46:22 2004

Dear Robert

I have a problems for translate the article in english
- I no have a good english - but probably a article
exit in the next number of NATURE.
Regards

matteo

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/010510014102.tc9rjtea.html

> > Italian researchers find traces of life in
> > meteorites
> >
> > ROME (AFP) May 10, 2001
> > Italian researchers have found traces of life in
> 4.5
> > billion-year-old meteorites, according to the
> Italian daily Corriere
> > della Sera.
> >
> > Geologist Bruno D'Argegno and molecular biologist
> > Giuseppe Geraci, both from
> > the Federico II University in Naples, borrowed
> > meteorite samples from a
> > local museum and introduced them to a
> "physiological
> > solution," D'Argegno
> > told the paper.
> >
> > "Then we saw these micro-organisms appear and
> begin
> > to move," the researcher
> > said.
> >
> > The scientists noted 78 different types of
> bacteria
> > -- known as
> > crystallo-microbes or "crim" for short -- which
> they
> > identified as being
> > similar to ones which existed on Earth some 3.5
> > billion years ago.
> >
> > The bacteria were described as very primitive
> > organisms, with a DNA network
> > but no immune system.
> >
> > The two Italian experts presented their
> conclusions
> > to the Italian Space
> > Agency (ASI) on Wednesday, the paper said.
> >
> > The space agency's scientific director,
> > astrophsicist Giovanni F. Bignami
> > hailed the findings as "an excellent basis for
> > boosting research programmes
> > dedicated to the search for life on other planets
> in
> > the solar system."

=====
M come Meteorite - Matteo Chinellato
Telefax +39 041 5415850 Mobil Phone 0339 3895503
Email: mcomemeteorite2000_at_yahoo.it
Collection Site: http://utenti.tripod.it/M_come_Meteorite/Collection.html
ICQ 84588769