[meteorite-list] Numbering of Sikhote Meteorites

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:05 2004

Geoff wrote:

> Collection numbers interest me, so I've done
> a bit more research over the past few days.

> They carry a white gauze label, with
> four-digit typewritten collection numbers.

Hello Geoff and List.

In 1984, two Soviet scientists, Ljudmilla Iwanowna Antipowa and Alexej
Alexejewitsch Pamjatnych, from the Soviet Academy of Sciences attended
the 4th Amateur Astronomer's Fair in the Bavarian town of Laupheim.
Ljudmilla Iwanowna Antipowa gave a lecture on the most interesting
Soviet meteorite falls. They had brought with them a 66 kg horseshoe-
shaped, beautifully regmaglypted Sikhote-Alin specimen that was on
display in one of the showrooms. It carried two of those white gauze
labels, and the numbers were not typewritten but probably applied with
the help of a stencil - done very carefully with beautifully written
numbers. I did take several pictures but I don't have color prints but
color slides. Now the interesting detail here: It was not a four-digit
number but a five-digit-number: 20057.

Best Sunday
morning wishes,

Bernd