[meteorite-list] Numbering of Sikhote Meteorites

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:05 2004

Bernd, among many other interesting tidbits, wrote:
>"Now the interesting detail here: It was not a four-digit
> number but a five-digit-number: 20057.

Hello Bernd and All,

I love the pursuit of knowledge and this forum with all its contributors and
questions and specimens really adds life to the chase.

Regarding your observation about the number of digits on a Sikhote-Alin
specimen label, well, here is a link to an S-A specimen that I have that has
a cloth, type-written number of 5 digits.

http://aristotle.isu.edu/s-anumbered1.jpg

This image shows the number 12889. As you can see my labeled specimen is so
small that the 5-digit number almost covers one entire side of the
individual.

Also, I believe we had a brief discussion about this once before when the
topic of sandblasting or talc-blasting S-A specimens came up. I remember
mentioning that I thought I had a couple of the original specimens from the
Academy of Sciences.

The other one I got when I received the small labeled one is pictured in the
Gallery at the Meteorite Exchange at:

http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/mh_sikhote-.jpg

Cheers,

Martin