[meteorite-list] Numismatists and Meteoriticists

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:11 2004

November 15, 2001

Greetings Mr. Mike Casper, Mr. Mike Tettenborn, and
fellow Meteorite Enthusiasts, and Numismatists
everywhere!

I never knew you were also an ardent coin collector,
Mr. Casper! What numismatic luck! I thought
meteorite collecting and coin collecting were
interwoven in more than one way.

I have been collecting for some years now, and have
gotten three articles published in Coins Magazine. I
collect practically any series of coins I can find
including both US and foreign.

By the way, I do agree with Mr. Mike Tettenborn's
comment about the extraordinarily high prices of many
rare coins in the coin hobby, including Morgan
dollars. Nevertheless, I also find it hard to imagine
that SNC meteorites and many other types are worth
thousands of dollars for a minuscule amount of grams.
Of course, some meteorite collectors or the like many
argue that such rocks are significantly more important
than some metal discs since meteorites are a piece of
other worlds, including Mars and the Moon. Thus, they
may say such rocks are crucial to our understanding of
life and the creation of the universe, etc.
Nonetheless, I doubt every space rock enthusiast
acquires a meteorite for that purpose alone to be
studied under an electron microscope and have a
scientific paper written up. Rather, it is apparent
that many obtain such rocks for the same reasons that
a person buys a beautiful coin like a Walking Liberty
half dollar, an Indian penny, or a Buffalo nickel.
Therefore, the possible argument that some gargantuan
priced meteorites are not overvalued like some hefty
priced coins, strictly because of their importance to
science is not valid in all cases. Both meteorite
and coin collecting are hobbies and are treated by
many as such.

Lastly I too like natural-made collectibles, Mr.
Tettenborn. Maybe instead of concentrating on the
coins themselves, you may find it more interesting to
concentrate on where the metal in them came from. I
have wondered for a while now if any coins, including
ancient coins, were ever struck from meteoritic metal.
Also, it appears that the Romans were very excited
about "falling rocks" and apparently commemorated many
meteorite falls on some of their coins. Other old
coins and/or medals also commemorate the appearance of
Halley's Comet. Like meteorite collecting too, coin
collecting has many mysteries that remain unresolved.

My e-mail is unclefireballmtf_at_yahoo.com.

Long strewn fields and shiny octahedrite coins!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA

--- tett <tett_at_bmts.com> wrote:

<HR>
<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0
transitional//en">
Sorry Michael but I will never get excited about
coins.&nbsp; Man made
things just don't interest me as collectibles except ,
perhaps, certain
forms of art and even then I would not break the bank
in acquiring them.
coins.&nbsp; I can't believe
$140,000 for a small 100 year old Morgan dollar.&nbsp;
Obviously, these
are highly collectable and eagerly sought by many
people.&nbsp; Congratulations
on what appears to be a successful auction so far.
size=-1>&nbsp; Perhaps
some of you may have some interest?
size=-1>the
link below for a peek.</font></font>&nbsp;<font
face="Arial"><font size=-1>&nbsp;
size=-1><a

Show your support at the Red Cross Disaster Relief
Fund -
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-pay-page/PKAXFNQH7EKCX/058-5084202-7156648