[meteorite-list] Leonids in Colorado

From: Joy Murakami <murakamij005_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

Hi,

(My apologies to the list about my very unrigorous comments about Forest 033
as E7 for E6 in the thread on LL7's! ...and thanks to Bernd for keeping a
short leash on us romantics...)

Here in 'sunny Hawaii' last night was one of the best-seeing high-contrast
nights in a long time...a cloudless dark sky w/ Jupiter 'n Mars and most of
the stars just staring incredibly colorfully and not flickering, the haze in
the Pleides and Orion's sword drawing my eyes a thousand times, looking like
comet Hyakutake did, not a breeze, but a hint of dew on everything... and
off in the horizon the ocean was smooth and glass-like, reflecting the light
of solitary hand-line fishers in their tiny launches and an interisland
cruise liner anchored miles beyond Diamond Head. My chosen viewing spot was
my backyard which faces away from Diamond Heand and to the East NE to the
dark Koolaus, blocked from Honolulu and Waikiki's formidable lite polution
by my home itself.

It was very nice. No, it wasn't a super spectacular shower between 12 and
3, not like the reports from the East Coast...but it certainly was a treat
seeing perhaps 1-2 meteors per minute with moments of seeing 2's and 3's
simultaneously. Most were long orange streaks reaching half the sky from
east to west with an occasional larger one that spanned the entire sky. An
occasional darker one would streak across at seemingly twice the speed
(optical illusion??) Occasionally a hint of green and bright yellow, a
fading dust trail looking like parallel lines, more puffy liinear dust
trails close to the eastern horizon glowing for a moment then dissolving
away..so silent, quiet. Couldn't put my binoculars to my eyes to go
star-hopping for fear of missing another spectacular one or two...

Earlier, I could hear the whoop of one of my neighbors when an especially
large one passed, but I think they must have turned in about 2, as did my
kids and wife when fatigue and cold set in. A humid 65 with dew on the
ground will do that with only a light sweatshirt and jeans on. No star
storm, but the kids were delighted with the sporadic and colorful show.
Didn't see any bright enough for shadows.... but still the best Leonids I've
seen since living here these past twenty years...

Joseph
Honolulu