[meteorite-list] (no subject)

From: gheri fouts <gfouts_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:12 2004

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C17075.5C299C80

My husband went to the Denver show and bought me a good size "new" Campo =
del Cielo. Actually I wanted to try our hand at etching. It has been =
sitting out on the shelf on a piece of paper since he brought it home =
and today I noticed it was moist...actually it looked like it was =
perspiring. Small red-brown spherical droplets of moisture were coming =
from within and I am wondering what is happening, other than the obvious =
rusting. If it is coming from within, does that mean there is moisture =
in the rock? Should I cut it open and take a look? I have had a nantan =
suddenly collapse into a mound of red-brown coarse powder shortly after =
I purchased it. I know it is humid in Hawaii, but this rusting seems to =
be coming from within. Any ideas? I wanted to steel brush it and coat =
it with urethane but if it is in fact rusting from within, I think that =
may only make it worse. I'd appreciate your thoughts. This is a very =
humid climate=20

gheri fouts
Honolulu, HI=20

"all science is either physics or stamp collecting"
-- Ernest (1st Baron) Rutherford

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C17075.5C299C80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My husband went to the Denver show and =
bought me a=20
good size "new" Campo del Cielo.&nbsp; Actually I wanted to try our hand =
at=20
etching.&nbsp; It has been sitting out on the shelf on a piece of paper =
since he=20
brought it home and today I noticed it was moist...actually it looked =
like it=20
was perspiring.&nbsp; Small red-brown spherical droplets of moisture =
were coming=20
from within and I am wondering what is happening, other than the obvious =

rusting.&nbsp; If it is coming from within, does that mean there is =
moisture in=20
the rock?&nbsp; Should I cut it open and take a look?&nbsp; I have had a =
nantan=20
suddenly collapse into a mound of red-brown coarse powder shortly after =
I=20
purchased it.&nbsp; I know it is humid in Hawaii, but this rusting seems =
to be=20
coming from within.&nbsp; Any ideas?&nbsp; I wanted to steel brush it =
and coat=20
it with urethane but if it is in fact rusting from within, I think that =
may only=20
make it worse.&nbsp; I'd appreciate your thoughts.&nbsp; This is a very =
humid=20
climate </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>gheri fouts</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Honolulu, HI </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"all science is either physics or stamp =

collecting"<BR>-- Ernest (1st Baron) =
Rutherford</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00D8_01C17075.5C299C80--