[meteorite-list] Leonids from Gold Basin

From: Dfpens_at_aol.com <Dfpens_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:13 2004

Just got back to Pittsburgh from the Gold Basin strewn field in Northwest
Arizona. Searched for two days for meteorites then set up for the Leonids
Saturday evening. Met up with Donald Okeeffe on Saturday for some meteorite
hunting and for the shower.

It was the most awesome experience I have ever had. Found about half a dozen
pieces of Gold Basin, mostly 10 to 20 grams, and got dozens of pictures of
the "storm". One picture had at least 9 streaks in it.

As has been previously listed by others, I too, saw a bright streak that left
a visible trail for more than 5 minutes. A one minute exposure on ISO 1600
film brought out the diffused trail very nicely.

If anyone is interested, email me and I will attach some scanned photos.

It's going to be hard to go back to the Perseids next August!!

Dave Pensenstadler