[meteorite-list] Clues about the latest virus

From: John Gwilliam <jkgdiver_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:47:14 2004

--=====================_2126898==_.ALT

Hello List Members,
I know there is a policy on the list about NOT talking about viruses, but
the latest one is a sneaky little devil that doesn't have to be an attached
file to infect your computer.

Maybe we can get some better information from our friendly computer wizard
in Holbrook, Dave Andrews. Dave?

I got a copy of it today and here is how my anti virus program identified it.

"C:\ Eudora Pro\EMBEDDED\news_doc.Doc.scr ...........is infested with the
Badtrans.B_at_mm virus".

This bugger is embedded in the document. You don't have to open anything to
get the virus.

It is coming from two sources:

Email from Nick Trikilis - nickt_at_ohio.net There is no message in the
subject line. And, there is no attachment...because the virus is embedded.

see the ohio.net? Read on.

The other source is an email from Rick Nowak -
internationalmeteoritesociety_at_yahoo.com

His email says "check out my website at" www.***ohio.net***/nickt/ims (i
have added the asterisks so as to not create a viable URL link).

  See the "nickt" in the address string? My guess is it is Nick Trikilis.

And both involve"ohio.net"

Update your anti-virus protection and DON'T visit the web site mentioned.

Best Regards,

John Gwilliam

John Gwilliam Meteorites
PO Box 26854
Tempe AZ 85285
http://www.meteoriteimpact.com
--=====================_2126898==_.ALT

Hello List Members,<br>
I know there is a policy on the list about NOT talking about viruses, but
the latest one is a sneaky little devil that doesn't have to be an
attached file to infect your computer.<br>
Maybe we can get some better information from our friendly computer
wizard in Holbrook, Dave Andrews.&nbsp; Dave?<br>
I got a copy of it today and here is how my anti virus program identified
it.<br>
&quot;C:\ Eudora Pro\EMBEDDED\news_doc.Doc.scr ...........is infested
with the Badtrans.B_at_mm virus&quot;.&nbsp; <br>
This bugger is embedded in the document. You don't have to open anything
to get the virus.<br>
It is coming from two sources:<br>
Email from Nick Trikilis - nickt_at_ohio.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; There is no
message in the subject line.&nbsp; And, there is no attachment...because
the virus is embedded.<br>
see the ohio.net?&nbsp; Read on.<br>
The other source is an email from&nbsp; Rick Nowak -
internationalmeteoritesociety_at_yahoo.com<br>
His email says &quot;check out my website at&quot;&nbsp;&nbsp;
(i have added the asterisks so as to not create a viable URL link).
&nbsp;See the &quot;nickt&quot; in the address string?&nbsp; My guess is
it is Nick Trikilis.<br>
And both involve&quot;ohio.net&quot;<br>
site mentioned</b>.<br>
Best Regards,<br>
John Gwilliam<br>