[meteorite-list] Plainview, TX fall information wanted

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:10 2004

--B_3085112520_158281

Hi All,

I am looking for information about the suspected sort-of-witnessed fall of
the Plainview, Texas meteorite. What I=B9ve heard thus far is that one night
in 1903 some men heard their horses go a little crazy. In the morning, ther=
was a broken fence rail and a hole in the ground that the horses would not
go near. A 25lb meteorite was pulled from the hole.

Apparently, this stone sat around somewhere for some length of time. At a
later time, the stone was sliced and it was discovered that it was actually
a Plainview specimen except that it was discovered miles of the 1917
Plainview strewnfield.

Any citations or sources of information would be helpful.

Cheers and thanks,

Martin

--B_3085112520_158281

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Plainview, TX fall information wanted</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Helvetica">Hi All,<BR>
<BR>
I am looking for information about the suspected sort-of-witnessed fall of =
the Plainview, Texas meteorite. What I&#8217;ve heard thus far is that one n=
ight in 1903 some men heard their horses go a little crazy. In the morning, =
there was a broken fence rail and a hole in the ground that the horses would=
 not go near. A 25lb meteorite was pulled from the hole.<BR>
<BR>
Apparently, this stone sat around somewhere for some length of time. At a l=
ater time, the stone was sliced and it was discovered that it was actually a=
 Plainview specimen except that it was discovered miles of the 1917 Plainvie=
w strewnfield.<BR>
<BR>
Any citations or sources of information would be helpful.<BR>
<BR>
Cheers and thanks,<BR>
<BR>
Martin<BR>