[meteorite-list] Who will write the Saharan story?

From: Martin Horejsi <martinh_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:13 2004

--B_3086436435_94074

> Dean B. kindly wrote:
>=20
> =B3At the present time we are witnessing history. Not just the sahara but o=
ther
> deserts to. A time when meteorites cost a small fraction of what they did=
 just
> a few years earlier and after.=B2
>=20
> I agree that it is possible for people to purchase meteorites for =B3a smal=
> fraction=B2 compared to recent history, but this is mostly limited to those=
 from
> hot deserts. By contrast, those from the cold deserts are commanding obsc=
ene
> prices for their classification, historical falls are doubling or triplin=
> their recent prices and even the prices being asked for many common chond=
rites
> from locations outside the hot deserts seem to have climbed to where witn=
essed
> falls were just a decade ago.
>=20
> However, there is a giant asterisk here, and that his that the prices are
> noted =B3at the pump=B2 shall we say. There are many dealers who are still pa=
ying
> the same out-of-the-field prices that were paid 10 or 20 years ago.
>=20
> There is one more caveat that I see as a major change in meteorite collec=
ting
> compared to last decade, and that is an increase on the importance of kno=
wing
> a story within or behind any given meteorite specimen. It used to be said=
 that
> every meteorite has a story behind it, but that is a rough stretch when
> talking about many of the hot desert stones. They are of value scientific=
ally,
> and as collection pieces, but they hardly inspire the sense of wonder tha=
> many of the other specimens the earth has given up, or those who=B9s fall t=
he
> inhabitants of this planet personally experienced.
>=20
> One of the main differences I have always found interesting between miner=
al
> collecting and meteorite collecting is the stories behind the meteorites =
that
> often were lacking when it came to minerals and even fossils. Few of the=
 hot
> desert meteorites carry with them much of a story.
>=20
> A fear of mine here is that if one cuts their collecting teeth on hot des=
ert
> meteorites, they will have have missed some of the important elements I f=
eel
> are important in order for the collector to truly respect the medium that=
> [...]

--B_3086436435_94074

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [meteorite-list] Who will write the Saharan story?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Dean B. kindly wrote:<BR>
<BR>
&#8220;At the present time we are witnessing history. Not just the sahara b=
ut other deserts to. A time when meteorites cost a small fraction of what th=
ey did just a few years earlier and after.&#8221;<BR>
<BR>
I agree that it is possible for people to purchase meteorites for &#8220;a =
small fraction&#8221; compared to recent history, but this is mostly limited=
 to those from hot deserts. By contrast, those from the cold deserts are com=
manding obscene prices for their classification, historical falls are doubli=
ng or tripling their recent prices and even the prices being asked for many =
common chondrites from locations outside the hot deserts seem to have climbe=
d to where witnessed falls were just a decade ago. <BR>
<BR>
However, there is a giant asterisk here, and that his that the prices are n=
oted &#8220;at the pump&#8221; shall we say. There are many dealers who are =
still paying the same out-of-the-field prices that were paid 10 &nbsp;or 20 =
years ago. <BR>
<BR>
There is one more caveat that I see as a major change in meteorite collecti=
ng compared to last decade, and that is an increase on the importance of kno=
wing a story within or behind any given meteorite specimen. It used to be sa=
id that every meteorite has a story behind it, but that is a rough stretch w=
hen talking about many of the hot desert stones. They are of value scientifi=
cally, and as collection pieces, but they hardly inspire the sense of wonder=
 that many of the other specimens the earth has given up, or those who&#8217=
;s fall the inhabitants of this planet personally experienced. <BR>
<BR>
One of the main differences I have always found interesting between mineral=
 collecting and meteorite collecting is the stories behind the meteorites th=
at often were lacking when it came to minerals and even fossils. &nbsp;Few o=
f the hot desert meteorites carry with them much of a story. <BR>
<BR>
A fear of mine here is that if one cuts their collecting teeth on hot deser=
t meteorites, they will have have missed some of the important elements I fe=
el are important in order for the collector to truly respect the medium that=
 is being collected. <BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
<BR>