[meteorite-list] 1876 Scientific American, Tucson Ring, NHM & the "Ovifak"

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:48:57 2004

Gregory wrote:

> I'm curious if anyone can shed light on either of those references (the
> article does credit the original discovery to a Juan Bautiste Ainsa).

Hello Gregory and List,

There is a problem - one among many other mysteries surrounding the
Tucson iron masses. There are (at least) three Juan Bautista Ainsas in
the genealogy of the Anza-Ainsa family:

Juan Bautista Ainsa I ( who lived from ? till ?)
Juan Bautista Ainsa II (1694- 1737?)
Juan Bautista Ainsa (ca. 1735-1788)

One of these Juans, then Gran Capitan de las Provincias del Occidente,
is said to have "visited" the "aerolite" and have it transported to
Spain (which never happened - the project was given up).

The only exhibition in 1876 was the "Centennial Exposition" in
Philadelphia. More later if I find something more. It's late here
and I've got to get up at 06:00 in the morning :-(

Good Night,

Bern