[meteorite-list] Ureilites

From: almitt <almitt_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:02 2004

Hi Joseph and all,

>>I am not certain they(Ureilites) come from Venus... neither is it certain they do
not!<<

I agree. It's not critical for me if they are from Venus or an asteroid. I would say
that with current known information the asteroid parent body is the best one.

>>Prof. McSween is not the last word on the issue... The facts are Ureilites are
enigmaticand there is NO known 100+ km asteroid that correlates with Ureilites<<

Professor McSween uses the work of many teams to derive the information he has
suggested in his book. So it is not just McSween who is offering this evidence. I can
sight more sources or go to the book to see. There might not be a known 100+km
asteroid that correlates with ureilites but that doesn't mean the remnants aren't out
there in the asteroid belt and left over from collision. Remember the albedo's are
only 7% reflective and small chunks of debris might not be yet discovered.

>>Ureilites have a complex history and there is very little he claims that would
preclude Venus as the parent body...<<

I think some of the best evidence that could preclude them from being from Venus is
the fact we have so many falls/finds of this material suggesting they are coming from
outside of the Earth's orbit. It is easier for material to lose energy and find its
way toward the sun than for it to gain energy and go further out from the sun, though
a series of right events could yield material. Also remember this is the second
highest (find/fall) achondrite group which doesn't support an inner solar system
(inner from Earth) source.

>>In my study of Venus, I have found there is a higher abundance of primitive Ar/Ne
than Earth and these isotope ratios seem to correlate to what has been found in
Ureilites. I have other facts that will be revealed in the future<<

I look forward to other findings and posts you may have. I also would be interested in

any papers or articles you might summit to the meteoritics community for consideration

of your findings.

>>If you want Ureilites to remain a mystery don't speculate, continue with the status
quo...<<

I am always interested in new findings and glad to receive findings from qualified
researchers on the subject of meteorites and how they correlate to parent bodies. I'll

listen to both sides of any argument and form my opinion on what I think is the best
idea at that time. Best regards to all!

--AL