[meteorite-list] Slickenside (& mullions)

From: Robert Verish <bolidechaser_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:49:03 2004

Good point, Bernd:

And there is another feature of slickenside not found
in shatter cones... it's called "mullion". These are
defined as "grooves or slip line structures -
corrugations in the fault surface". Real fault
surfaces are not perfectly planar.

There are very fine partings in these mullions that
are produced by "plucking" as the two planar sides
grind past each other. This is what you feel on a
slickenside surface going in one direction, but not in
the opposite direction, as described by James Baxter
in his earlier post.

I see this feature very often in the meteorites with
slickenside, but I haven't been lucky enough to find a
shatter cone in a meteorite, yet.

Bob V.

--- Bernd Pauli HD