[meteorite-list] Meteorite Reference By Richard Byrd

From: Richard F. Kuzma <rkuzma01_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:21 2004

I came across this reference in Richard Byrd's book "ALONE" and thought
I'd pass it on to those who may have an interest. The quote is found on
the bottom of page 205 of the G.P. Putnam's Sons Publishing edition.
(The book, "ALONE", is about Byrd's 1934 expedition to the Antarctic -
focusing upon his experiences while he solitarily manned a forward
weather observation station [at Latitude 80 Degrees, 08 Minutes South]
during the Antarctic winter.)

".....my Senior Scientist launched into a subject very close to his
scientist's heart: meteor observations. Ever since darkness had fallen,
he and his crew, in co-operation with observatories scattered throughout
the world, had been keeping a continuous watch on the sky for meteors.
As I was interested in this AND FREQUENTLY FOUND METEORIC FRAGMENTS IN
THE SNOW I MELTED FOR WATER, I was informed from time to time about the
progress of these observations.........The results had been phenomenal.
On account of the extraordinary clarity of the Antarctic atmosphere, vast
numbers of meteors were observed which would not ordinarily be visible
through the layer of dust and water particles which obscures the sky over
more temperate regions. This was an important astronomical discovery
which changed upwards the prevailing estimates of how much material was
constantly being received by the earth from this source."

I find it interesting that, at that early of a date, Byrd was familiar
enough with the subject to recognize that the material in his snow melt
would have been meteorites.