[meteorite-list] meteorite pronunciation/french

From: rochette <rochette_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:23 2004

Dear list

I am always amazed how difficult it is for English language people to
 or "L'Aigle" (or "Tafassasset" translation from arabic to french).
But its quite understandable!

 The problem is that is is so obvious for a french that it is difficult
to explain it except orally. One simple rule is the "a" without any
other vowel is always pronounce the same like in the english "ass",
never like "car" o "alone", and e alone either not pronounced or like
in "bed" or "honey" (é and è), never like "bee" . So
"Taff-ass-ass-heyt" should be easy (t is pronounced, not like in
genuine french!). The trouble is combination of vowel, and I do not see
how to write the equivalent phonetic. I can volonteer to make a voice
record!

one I can try: "Gah-oh gay-knee-hey"</smaller></fontfamily>
Pierre