[meteorite-list] Tektite Identification

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:24 2004

Allan wrote:

> How can you tell one kind of tektite from another?
> Say an australite from a bediasite from a small
> indochinite?

Steven responded:

> They are differentiated based on composition.
> They can (and do) look the same. (From L. Elkins,
> our resident tektite expert).

Hello Allan, Steven and List,

As for bediasites, Harold Povenmire wrote:

"Many bediasites show a characteristic 'finger
print' or 'worm track' on their surface."

Several years ago, I purchased three bediasites from Mike Farmer but
looking at them, I am not quite sure what these 'worm tracks' are.
Two of them have deep furrows and all three of them show "striations"
when the viewing angle is appropriate.

Reference:

H.R. Povenmire (1980) Fireballs, Meteors & Meteorites, pp. 139-140.

> They are differentiated based on composition.

The average silica content of bediasites is 71.89-81.31%
The average silica content of Australian tektites = 66.9-68.5%
But there are also some Australites with a silica content of 70-73%.

Best regs,

Bernd