[meteorite-list] Last fall of millenium - update

From: Ing. Christian ANGER <christian.anger_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:24 2004

Hi list !

A few days ago we had a discussion about the latest millenium fall.
I reported Moravka. But it is not anymore.
In the new MetBull 86 - announcement is a later fall in 2000 reported :

Yafa

13°42'40" N, 45°10'12" E

Yafa province, Yemen
Fall 2000, July 15, 14:45 hrs GMT
Ordinary chondrite (H5)
A main mass of approximately 5 kg and a second mass of
approximately 700 g are known. Many witnesses reported a fireball
over a wide area from Ma'raban to Aden (some 95 km to the SSW) to
Ad Dhala (70 km WSW of Ma'raban) and many in the region reported
associated sound effects. The larger stone was collected on the day of
the fall, probably within 2-3 hours of the event. The smaller stone was
collected the following day. Classification and analysis (G. C. Wilson,
UToron): Macroscopically, the fall is a breccia, with well-developed
fusion crust and a pale interior. Olivine Fa19.4, orthopyroxene
En81.3Fs17.3Wo1.4, kamacite 0.56 wt% Co and 6.78 wt% Ni.
Tetrataenite, averaging 50.3 wt% Ni, is an accessory mineral. Shock
stage S2, negligible degree of weathering, consistent with recent fall.
Specimens: type specimen 600 g Yemen; 93 g and polished thin
section, GSC; main mass believed to reside with the finders (as of
2001 September 28).

Ing. Christian ANGER
Korngasse 6
2405 Bad Deutsch-Altenburg