[meteorite-list] Strange Allende inclusion

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:28 2004

Jay Haynes wrote:

> From the looks of the inclusion it is a sulfide (brass colored
> about 1mm in length and half a mm in width). I am 100% sure
> it is a slice of Allende as I just got it from [...] Looking over
> the slice I see many more brass colored metal flakes in it but
> much smaller as well as some ordinary metallic flake in the
> matrix as well as from the looks of it (not too sure at this
> moment) also in the chondrules.

Hello Jay and List,

This description still leaves me a little puzzled as there should
not be anything like metal flakes and mm-sized brassy inclusions.
I've been looking at my six Allende slices (the largest having a
diameter of more than 2 inches) but the only features I could detect
that somewhat resemble your description are orange-colored "specks"
and a look at figure 6.6 (an Axtell specimen in full color!) in O.R.
Norton's CEM (p. 107) says: "Weathering of the meteorite has altered
some of the chondrules turning them an o r a n g e color". There
should be so many Allende slices in our collections that it would be
interesting to hear more about what Jay observed from other list
members!

Best regs,

Bernd