[meteorite-list] Brachinites - primitive or not?

From: Jeff Grossman <jgrossman_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:29 2004

Brachinites are indeed primitive achondrites. This class of meteorites is
defined as those "whose bulk compositions are approximately chondritic, but
whose textures are igneous or metamorphic. [They] are generally thought to
be ultrametamorphosed chondrites or residues of very low degrees of partial
melting on small parent bodies. Winonaites, silicates from IAB and IIICD
irons, acapulcoites, lodranites, and recently even ureilites ... have been
considered to be primitive achondrites." (Mittlefehldt et al., 1998, Rev.
Mineral. 36, Ch. 4). The controversy over brachinites is whether they are
residues of partial melting, or cumulates derived from primitive
melts. Either way, because they are ultramafic rocks that are relatively
close to chondritic in composition, and they have equigranular textures,
they are "primitive achondrites" by definition. The most recent work,
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2002/pdf/1008.pdf, by Mittlefehldt and
Berkley, suggests that some brachinits are cumulates.

jeff