[meteorite-list] Brachinites - primitive or not?

From: Bernd Pauli HD <bernd.pauli_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:50:29 2004

herbert.raab_at_ris.at wrote:

> I noted that McSween has included the Brachinites
> with the primitive Achondrites in his second edition
> of "Meteorites and their parent planets", whilst
> Norton's Encyclopedia exludes the Brachinites from
> the chapter on primitve achondrites, but rather
> lists them with asteroidal (differentiate) achondrites.
>
> So, should we consider the Brachinites as
> primitive meteorites, or not...? Any ideas?

Hello Herbert and List,

O.R. Norton does not really "e x c l u d e" them because he
says (and also explains the different terms) on page 165:

"Three a d d i t i o n a l small achondrite groups are currently
recognized and should be briefly mentioned to complete our inventory
of the achondrites. They (= acapulcoites, lodranites, and winonaites)
are called primitive achondrites, and as a group are distinguished
from the differentiated achondrites by having been only partially
melted and therefore not completely diffeentiated."

Reference:

NORTON O.R. (2002) The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites.

Best wishes,

Bernd