[meteorite-list] Chassigny

From: LITIG8NSHARK_at_aol.com <LITIG8NSHARK_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:08 2004

--part1_165.117795da.2a843991_boundary

Good evening Ray, and all,

The mystery of what happened to all of the reported Chassigny find is a
perennial discussion topic. One that I suspect will go on for many years.

I theorize that some of it was destroyed in analysis and that the remainder
is tucked away in some drawer of a major institution(s); forgotten. At the
price that Chassigny currently brings one would suspect that the holder of a
couple of kilos of the meteorite would be tempted to part with at least some
of it.

If I had a couple of kilos of the stuff you can rest assured that I would
soon be retiring.

Ya'll (I can say that now as I have relocated to Savannah, GA) have a great
evening.

Best Regards,

Paul

In a message dated 8/8/2002 5:00:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
impactearth_at_space.com writes:

> When Chassigny fell, it was estimated that approx 4
> kg's were recovered, and only about 800 grams is
> accounted for now. Any thought's or theories on what
> happened to the other 3.2 kg's? Any chance on more
> turning up?

--part1_165.117795da.2a843991_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE=3>Good evening Ray, and all,
<BR>
<BR>The mystery of what happened to all of the reported Chassigny find is a perennial discussion topic. One that I suspect will go on for many years.
<BR>
<BR>I theorize that some of it was destroyed in analysis and that the remainder is tucked away in some drawer of a major institution(s); forgotten. At the price that Chassigny currently brings one would suspect that the holder of a couple of kilos of the meteorite would be tempted to part with at least some of it.
<BR>
<BR>If I had a couple of kilos of the stuff you can rest assured that I would soon be retiring.
<BR>
<BR>Ya'll (I can say that now as I have relocated to Savannah, GA) have a great evening.
<BR>
<BR>Best Regards,
<BR>
<BR>Paul