[meteorite-list] Latest round of Brad Sampson problems

From: Matson, Robert <ROBERT.D.MATSON_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:11 2004

Hi Mark, Matteo and List,

Matteo: sorry to hear about your difficulties with Brad. The
mounting evidence is that Brad, while he does sell legitimate
meteorites and almost always comes through when pressed, is a
procrastinator. Be forceful -- the squeaky wheel does get the
grease. You are unfortunately at a bit of a disadvantage since
you live in Italy, but customer satisfaction is key in this
business, and sellers who are unresponsive do earn a reputation.

Mark -- same goes for you. If you've given up hope on getting
a refund, my advice is to exact "payment" as you have: by
advertising your experience to the very people who might do
business with him. Sellers need to understand that we're a
close-knit society, and that bad business practices will come
back to bite them.

Mark wrote:

"These actions by Sampson have only hurt himself. For example I
collect Kansas meteorites. Had Sampson been honest and straight
with me in our earlier transaction I would have bought the
complete mass of Lost Creek at $5.00 a gram and would have
thought I came out like a bandit. Instead what did you get
out of it Brad? $2.00 a gram? I don't know but it was sold
low enough to be resold for under $3.00 a gram at a profit."

This story is actually not quite right, or at least incomplete.
You could never have bought the *complete* Lost Creek meteorite
from Brad because I jointly purchased the meteorite with Brad
from the finder's descendants. Indeed, I submitted the type
specimens to UCLA and still hold the main mass. Brad has
probably sold or traded off most of his share (a fraction at
surprisingly low prices for an American H3 with such a low TKW)
to others who in turn have resold it at minimal profit on eBay.
Obviously these prices are an historical anomaly for an
unequilibrated chondrite; I certainly haven't and won't sell
it at that price. I congratulate those who have bid on (and
actually acquired!) Lost Creek at < $3/gram. Indeed, if a more
reputable dealer was selling it at that price, I'd be inclined
to simply buy it all up. To each his own, I guess.

Cheers,
Rob