[meteorite-list] metal in meteorites?

From: John Gwilliam <jkg_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:16 2004

--=====================_865593==_.ALT

Hematite and magnetite particles scattered throughout a rock matrix can
appear shiny in bright light. Look at the same specimen that is not in
direct light and you will see it is really a dull grey. True iron nickel
will still appear a bright almost white color in shaded light. Arizona
produces lots of specimens that show a pattern of these grey flecks in the
matrix rock and they are quite magnetic as well.

Regards,

John

At 09:37 PM 8/15/02 -0700, James_TOM Knudson wrote:
>Sorry to ask another question List, But I feel like the greatest minds in
>the meteorite field are on this list! So, Gold basin has some nice shiny
>metal! I have spent a lot of time looking at my piece of G.B... I have
>looked at the way it is arranged In the matrix, Fascinating! It seems to
>be average from what I have seen. I found a rock that has just as much
>metal arranged in a similar fashion, But it is not as shiny as G.B..is it
>oxidized? Is there some thing else I do not know of that looks like that?
>When you hold it in light it is real shiny but strait on it looks dull! It
>is very magnetic!!!!! Can any one shine a light on this subject?
>

>Thanks, Tom

--=====================_865593==_.ALT

Hematite and magnetite particles scattered throughout a rock matrix can
appear shiny in bright light.&nbsp; Look at the same specimen that is not
in direct light and you will see it is really a dull grey.&nbsp; True
iron nickel will still appear a bright almost white color in shaded
light.&nbsp; Arizona produces lots of specimens that show a pattern of
these grey flecks in the matrix rock and they are quite magnetic as
well.<br>
Regards,<br>
John<br>
At 09:37 PM 8/15/02 -0700, James_TOM Knudson wrote:<br>
like the greatest minds in the meteorite field are on this list! So, Gold
basin has some nice shiny metal! I have spent a lot of time looking at my
piece of G.B... I have looked at the way it is arranged In the matrix,
Fascinating! It seems to be average from what I have seen. I found a rock
that has just as much metal arranged in a similar fashion, But it is not
as shiny as G.B..is it oxidized? Is there some thing else I do not know
of that looks like that? When you hold it in light it is real shiny but
strait on it looks dull! <font face="Times New Roman, Times">It is very
magnetic!!!!! Can any one shine a light on this subject?</font><br>
Thanks, Tom<br>
<hr>