[meteorite-list] Museum Meteorites

From: meteorites_at_space.com <meteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:16 2004

On Thu, 15 August 2002, "John Sinclair" wrote:

> Hi Ann,
> I had no idea Goose Lake was bolted down. I like the
> way the museum has so
> many iron meteorites out in the open.
> Lafayette is beyond my description. You have it right
> when you say 'sheer
> perfection'.
> It's always nice to see world class specimens.
> John

And regarding Lafayette, there is no way that that a
meteorite of such "sheer perfection" could have sat on
Indania wet ground for 13,000 years.

Its physical form indicates that it was picked up
shortly after, or as the story of its find indicates,
seconds after it fell-- not at Nakhla, but in Indiana.

Nininger believed this, and the tests show that this
"sheer perfect" meteorite is distinct from Nakhla.

Regards,
Steve Schoner

the
> meteorites currently on
> &gt; &gt; display at the Smithsonian Institution,
Washington,