[meteorite-list] Denver Show - Part 2

From: Mark Bostick <thebigcollector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:17 2004

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.27E4A400

Two meteorite A to Z books where specially signed and inscribed for the =
event. Anne Black, William Jensen and Mike Jensen each signed and made =
several notes inside. Such as Mike's: Coments Auction 2001 Mike Jensen =
9/14/01 "the auctioneer". One book went for $15.00 while the other went =
(to me) for $20.00.=20

Free drinks and eatibles where provided by the Comets.=20

Many of us stood around and talked trying our best to forget the tuesday =
before. I believe all enjoyed themselves and a portion of the sales is =
being donated to different charities so we managed a little good as =
well.

After we parted from the auction it was now late so off we were off to =
get a room. I had cancelled a room I had reserved because of everything =
this last week. Unlike Tuscon however., there is lots of housing in =
Denver. The only worry being the airport was yet up to speed and many =
where still stuck in town. We did manage to find a room not far from all =
the action. The hotel we stayed at boasted proudly $19.95 rooms. Somehow =
they were $42.95 but it was fair as they were clean and was in good =
location for us.=20

The morning light woke me up around 7:00am. I guessed it to be 8:00am =
and would have been correct had I been in Kansas, which is one time zone =
over. I played with the specimans I got the day before and made notes =
untill my brother woke up.

After breakfest and a brief tour around the football stadiums for photos =
it was back to the Holiday Inn. Now it is 9:00am, people were starting =
to open the tents outside the hotel bordering the parking lot and behind =
the building. Most of the rooms where now open and I wandered around a =
little picking up a couple items here and there.=20

Many meteorites and tektites where to be found on the 3rd floor and I =
spent several hours within its halls. I collect a lot of the African =
meteorites and Dean Bessey was by far the NWA man in Denver. Among the =
table of the new NWA869 L4 I found a very nice 4700 gram oriented =
individual with great regmylsts pitting and almost complete crust with =
the exception of the lee side, I couldn't help picking up a couple extra =
kgs for selling and trading. Among the room was two areas with thin =
sections, Imilacs, morrocans, some nice ammonites, Sudbury impact =
slices, and more. For Dean's effort he gets the "Most NWA Meteorites in =
Denver 2001" and the "Best Selection of Thin Sections in Denver 2001" =
awards.=20

Several foriegn meteorite dealers where attending the show, including =
Hans Koser, who had a lot of African offerings, some very large Campos =
with nice pitting. I picked up some Bendego and some Santa Cararina =
before making my way into other rooms.

One of the russian dealers had Sikhotes in almost every direction. This =
was a great chance for me to pick out a few hundred grams of small =
Sikhote-Alins from many, many kilograms. They also had a what I believe =
was the main mass of DAG200. A meteorite with an unusal shape that =
reminds everyone who sees it as.....well the male organ. This item was =
also in the auction the night before and failed to receive the opening =
bid of $200.00. It did however get a quite a few laughs. Premiering here =
where several new moon rocks and carbonacous.=20

Eduardo Jawerbaum's room was filled with a lot of very nice offerings. =
Some complete or main mass SAH's. A display full of Pallisites including =
a nice Esquel slice over 1.6 kg had a large area of almost complete =
olivine. Moon, Mars, Howardites and many other rare offerings to empty =
your wallet filled another case. Eduardo did the best job at having all =
the well known meteorites (Gibeon, Gao-Genie, Imilac, Allende, =
Odessa,ect) as well as the more expensive items like Kopeta, Zagami, and =
Gloria Mountain. An eye grabbing offering here was a 12 kilogram slice =
of the Argentina Rio Limay stone meteorite. I give Eduardo the award for =
"Best varity of Meterites at Denver 2001". Somehow among all these items =
it was his minerals that caught my eye and I walked out with several =
flats. Okay we wheeled out several flats. My brother also managed a =
trade for some Chassigny, something I thought was unusual since the =
auction that Friday was where he bought his first meteorites.=20

Also to be found lerking around the 3rd floor was none other then the =
Meteorite Man himself, Robert Hagg. Robert Hagg was very friendly and =
posed for a pichure with me. He seems to be a very positive person and =
is a good spokeperson for our hobby. Big deals where in the background =
and few even saw Hagg. For his efforts I give Hagg the "Hinding in the =
Background Denver 2001" award. Several of us sellers stood around the =
hallway talking as big wheels where turning.=20

Back to Dean Bessey's room for a couple MGD longnecks, my choice of beer =
and apparently his as well. Then off to the second floor...

Blaine Reed and Bruno Fectay where the spotlights of the second floor.=20

Blaine Reed was a quiet guy that had a lot of nice items at fair prices. =
He had many US meteorite slices for the most part under what is =
considered "retail". This room had also became a hangout for other =
dealers and collectors. It had a pleasant atmosphere as most people =
where drinking Reed's beer rather then buying his meteorites. Blaine =
Reed spent most of the time being quite while others drank his beer. I =
give Reed the "Most Full Room with No One Buying Anything Award." Here I =
also found a fellow collector from Kansas, Rex Powell.=20

Jim Strope (Sikhote-alin.com), who sharing the room with Reed, pulled =
out a nice group of oriented or flight marked Sikhotes as well as a very =
awesome thin Esqual slice. The Sikhotes had several peoples attention =
and a few grabbed my eye. Rex would see ones that excited him and would =
scream out from time to time making us all laugh. I picked up out a neat =
bullet shaped, a nice heat shield and one of the stangest oriented =
meteorites I have seen. This Sikhote is about 2-3mm thick and has an =
almost complete rim. It fell very flat. Anyone who seem Jim's =
orientation collection would agree that he gets the "Best Oriented =
Meteorites in Denver 2001" award.=20

Bruno Fectay was sharing his room with a mineral dealer that remained =
quiet the whole time I was there. He had a nice selection of Taza, along =
with many new meteorites incliding a new martian meteorite that looks =
very much like Zagami, but is quite different. Several new moon rocks =
and enchites could also be found. however, other then a few morrocans =
there was no low or middle range prices items to be found. Bruno did =
seem quite knowledgefull in the new finds he had to offer. Showing =
chemical charts and explaining several of the new meteorites well.=20

The Western Inn beside the Holiday Inn had several meteorites sellers as =
well. None of which I had heard of before and walking the hallways most =
doors where shut. One dealer did have a very large collection of =
moldavites in all size and most of the well known irons. The items that =
interested here me was a large pile of tiny Campos less then 10 grams =
each. $1.00 a gram was fair for such small irons but I didnt buy any as =
I was still trying to "brouse".

Lacking meteorites to look at, We now decided to make our way to the =
Merchandise Market, where I knew from the meteorite e-mail list. Anne =
Black with Allian Carrion and the Jensen's where settled.=20

This show was several together. After donning a Wholesale buyers badge I =
was given free reign of the complex. This was the fossil headquarters of =
Denver.=20

Entertaining the crowds was a lady with an animated baby dinosaur (The =
Stone Company) for rent and Mr. Bones, a guy in a realistic dinosaur =
suit that was going around and "eating" people. The kids really enjoyed =
it and several even asked for his autograph. He handled the kids quite =
well and it made me and my brother both smile.=20

Among the many fossil dealers were a lot of Chinese sellers. I mention =
this only because of the lack of attention that was spent at their =
offerings. This was everybody elses loss. One of my finds among their =
tables were tektites at great prices (Imagine that). One dealer had his =
marked down to $5.00 each. I grabbed the 4 largest and was able to get =
them for $15.00. All were at least 99% chip free and I could tell they =
were well over 100 grams. To my suprize when I later weighed them the =
largest was 229 grams and the smallest was 193 grams. Wish I would have =
grabbed a few others but I am happy with what I got.=20

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.27E4A400

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Two meteorite A to Z books where specially signed and inscribed for =
the=20
event. Anne Black, William Jensen and Mike Jensen each signed and made =
several=20
notes inside. Such as Mike's: Coments Auction 2001 Mike Jensen 9/14/01 =
"the=20
auctioneer". One book went for $15.00 while the other went (to me) for =
$20.00.=20
</P>
<P>Free drinks and eatibles where provided by the Comets. </P>
<P>Many of us stood around and talked trying our best to forget the =
tuesday=20
before. I believe all enjoyed themselves and a portion of the sales is =
being=20
donated to different charities so we managed a little good as well.</P>
<P>After we parted from the auction it was now late so off we were off =
to get a=20
room. I had cancelled a room I had reserved because of everything this =
last=20
week. Unlike Tuscon however., there is lots of housing in Denver. The =
only worry=20
being the airport was yet up to speed and many where still stuck in =
town. We did=20
manage to find a room not far from all the action. The hotel we stayed =
at=20
boasted proudly $19.95 rooms. Somehow they were $42.95 but it was fair =
as they=20
were clean and was in good location for us. </P>
<P>The morning light woke me up around 7:00am. I guessed it to be 8:00am =
and=20
would have been correct had I been in Kansas, which is one time zone =
over. I=20
played with the specimans I got the day before and made notes untill my =
brother=20
woke up.</P>
<P>After breakfest and a brief tour around the football stadiums for =
photos it=20
was back to the Holiday Inn. Now it is 9:00am, people were starting to =
open the=20
tents outside the hotel bordering the parking lot and behind the =
building. Most=20
of the rooms where now open and I wandered around a little picking up a =
couple=20
items here and there. </P>
<P>Many meteorites and tektites where to be found on the 3rd floor and I =
spent=20
several hours within its halls. I collect a lot of the African =
meteorites and=20
Dean Bessey was by far the NWA man in Denver. Among the table of the new =
NWA869=20
L4 I found a very nice 4700 gram oriented individual with great =
regmylsts=20
pitting and almost complete crust with the exception of the lee side, I =
couldn't=20
help picking up a couple extra kgs for selling and trading. Among the =
room was=20
two areas with thin sections, Imilacs, morrocans, some nice ammonites, =
Sudbury=20
impact slices, and more. For Dean's effort he gets the "Most NWA =
Meteorites in=20
Denver 2001" and the "Best Selection of Thin Sections in Denver 2001" =
awards.=20
</P>
<P>Several foriegn meteorite dealers where attending the show, including =
Hans=20
Koser, who had a lot of African offerings, some very large Campos with =
nice=20
pitting. I picked up some Bendego and some Santa Cararina before making =
my way=20
into other rooms.</P>
<P>One of the russian dealers had Sikhotes in almost every direction. =
This was a=20
great chance for me to pick out a few hundred grams of small =
Sikhote-Alins from=20
many, many kilograms. They also had a what I believe was the main mass =
of=20
DAG200. A meteorite with an unusal shape that reminds everyone who sees =
it=20
as.....well the male organ. This item was also in the auction the night =
before=20
and failed to receive the opening bid of $200.00. It did however get a =
quite a=20
few laughs. Premiering here where several new moon rocks and =
carbonacous.=20
</P></FONT><FONT size=3D2>
<P>Eduardo Jawerbaum's room was filled with a lot of very nice =
offerings. Some=20
complete or main mass SAH's. A display full of Pallisites including a =
nice=20
Esquel slice over 1.6 kg had a large area of almost complete olivine. =
Moon,=20
Mars, Howardites and many other rare offerings to empty your wallet =
filled=20
another case. Eduardo did the best job at having all the well known =
meteorites=20
(Gibeon, Gao-Genie, Imilac, Allende, Odessa,ect) as well as the more =
expensive=20
items like Kopeta, Zagami, and Gloria Mountain. An eye grabbing offering =
here=20
was a 12 kilogram slice of the Argentina </FONT><FONT size=3D3>Rio Limay =
stone=20
</FONT><FONT size=3D2>meteorite. I give Eduardo the award for "Best =
varity of=20
Meterites at Denver 2001". Somehow among all these items it was his =
minerals=20
that caught my eye and I walked out with several flats. Okay we wheeled =
out=20
several flats. My brother also managed a trade for some </FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3>Chassigny</FONT><FONT size=3D2>, something I thought was =
unusual since the=20
auction that Friday was where he bought his first meteorites. </P>
<P>Also to be found lerking around the 3rd floor was none other then the =

Meteorite Man himself, Robert Hagg. Robert Hagg was very friendly and =
posed for=20
a pichure with me. He seems to be a very positive person and is a good=20
spokeperson for our hobby. Big deals where in the background and few =
even saw=20
Hagg. For his efforts I give Hagg the "Hinding in the Background Denver =
2001"=20
award. Several of us sellers stood around the hallway talking as big =
wheels=20
where turning. </P>
<P>Back to Dean Bessey's room for a couple MGD longnecks, my choice of =
beer and=20
apparently his as well. Then off to the second floor...</P>
<P>Blaine Reed and Bruno Fectay</FONT><FONT size=3D3> </FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>where=20
the spotlights of the second floor. </P>
<P>Blaine Reed was a quiet guy that had a lot of nice items at fair =
prices. He=20
had many US meteorite slices for the most part under what is considered=20
"retail". This room had also became a hangout for other dealers and =
collectors.=20
It had a pleasant atmosphere as most people where drinking Reed's beer =
rather=20
then buying his meteorites. Blaine Reed spent most of the time being =
quite while=20
others drank his beer. I give Reed the "Most Full Room with No One =
Buying=20
Anything Award." Here I also found a fellow collector from Kansas, Rex =
Powell.=20
</P>
<P>Jim Strope (Sikhote-alin.com), who sharing the room with Reed, pulled =
out a=20
nice group of oriented or flight marked Sikhotes as well as a very =
awesome thin=20
Esqual slice. The Sikhotes had several peoples attention and a few =
grabbed my=20
eye. Rex would see ones that excited him and would scream out from time =
to time=20
making us all laugh. I picked up out a neat bullet shaped, a nice heat =
shield=20
and one of the stangest oriented meteorites I have seen. This Sikhote is =
about=20
2-3mm thick and has an almost complete rim. It fell very flat. Anyone =
who seem=20
Jim's orientation collection would agree that he gets the "Best Oriented =

Meteorites in Denver 2001" award. </P>
<P>Bruno Fectay was sharing his room with a mineral dealer that remained =
quiet=20
the whole time I was there. He had a nice selection of Taza, along with =
many new=20
meteorites incliding a new martian meteorite that looks very much like =
Zagami,=20
but is quite different. Several new moon rocks and enchites could also =
be found.=20
however, other then a few morrocans there was no low or middle range =
prices=20
items to be found. Bruno did seem quite knowledgefull in the new finds =
he had to=20
offer. Showing chemical charts and explaining several of the new =
meteorites=20
well. </P>
<P>The Western Inn beside the Holiday Inn had several meteorites sellers =
as=20
well. None of which I had heard of before and walking the hallways most =
doors=20
where shut. One dealer did have a very large collection of moldavites in =
all=20
size and most of the well known irons. The items that interested here me =
was a=20
large pile of tiny Campos less then 10 grams each. $1.00 a gram was fair =
for=20
such small irons but I didnt buy any as I was still trying to =
"brouse".</P>
<P>Lacking meteorites to look at, We now decided to make our way to the=20
Merchandise Market, where I knew from the meteorite e-mail list. Anne =
Black with=20
Allian Carrion and the Jensen's where settled. </P>
<P>This show was several together. After donning a Wholesale buyers =
badge I was=20
given free reign of the complex. This was the fossil headquarters of =
Denver.=20
</P>
<P>Entertaining the crowds was a lady with an animated baby dinosaur =
(The Stone=20
Company) for rent and Mr. Bones, a guy in a realistic dinosaur suit that =
was=20
going around and "eating" people. The kids really enjoyed it and several =
even=20
asked for his autograph. He handled the kids quite well and it made me =
and my=20
brother both smile. </P>
<P>Among the many fossil dealers were a lot of Chinese sellers. I =
mention this=20
only because of the lack of attention that was spent at their offerings. =
This=20
was everybody elses loss. One of my finds among their tables were =
tektites at=20
great prices (Imagine that). One dealer had his marked down to $5.00 =
each. I=20
grabbed the 4 largest and was able to get them for $15.00. All were at =
least 99%=20
chip free and I could tell they were well over 100 grams. To my suprize =
when I=20
later weighed them the largest was 229 grams and the smallest was 193 =
grams.=20
Wish I would have grabbed a few others but I am happy with what I got.=20
</P></FONT><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman"=20
size=3D2></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C246D1.27E4A400--